He had something going on with those crazy big arms! Was spinach really the cause though? Absolutely! Not only is spinach great for you, it is easy to add to any meal!
Popeye was a genius, by consuming the spinach he did he was:
- Lowering his risk of cancer due to the chlorophyll that helps block carcinogenic affects
- Keeping his blood pressure in check with the high potassium content that negates the affects of sodium to the body
- Improving his bone health so his arms wouldn’t fall off due to the vitamin K
- Helping prevent asthma with the beta-carotene
- Promoting regularity with the high fiber and water content (that’s important!)
- And if he had hair, the vitamin A and iron would have helped keep both his hair and skin healthy!
He was a lot smarter than we give him credit! Spinach is definitely a super food with super nutrients! Now that you know the benefits… Maybe you do not like spinach or have never given it a try. How do you incorporate it into your current meals? It doesn’t have a strong taste so it is very easy to do!
Obviously you could do a spinach salad, but here are some other ways to pump up your spinach intake:
- Sautéed: Mix a little bit of olive oil and seasonings in a pan and cook it down
- Scramble: Mix it in to a morning egg dish with other vegetables, I promise it tastes great if seasoned right!
- Sandwich: Add to your favorite wrap or sandwich
- Shake or smoothie: this is a must! Always add a handful into any fruit or protein smoothie. Not only will you get the nutrients out of it, it doesn’t add any taste!
Favorite Spinach Salad Snack
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- Handful of Craizins
- Handful of chopped almonds
- Raspberry Vinaigrette dressing
- Option to add a protein: tuna or chicken
Favorite Protein Shake
- 1 Cup Almond Milk or Non Fat Milk
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder
- Handful of Berries
- ½ Frozen Banana
- ½ tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 Cup of Spinach